Wednesday, September 8, 2010

How to Use Palringo (mobile phone) for Facebook Chat?

It might sound simple but it isn't. Palringo 2.0 does provide a facebook chat option but it never works. You will try to login and it will say "invalid username or password". It might login a few times but it will stop suddenly. (In a hurry?? go to the end of the post)

I was facing the same problem for a long time and I had almost given up. But then I wanted to have facebook chat on my desktop. So I googled it and found that facebook help center has a solution for that. It seems that facebook uses XMPP or jabber protocol for chat (I didnt know what it was before this).It said that I can use Pidgin as a windows client for chatting so I downloaded pidgin (which was a bit painful., but thats another story). Facebook gave me the settings for it which work fine (and which are generic to all jabber chat clients).

Today for some reason I changed my gtalk password, and unfortunately (or fortunately in this case) I had to delete my gtalk id from palringo because it wont let me simply change the password. So I added it again. While adding it I noticed that it had the same settings that I had used in Pidgin, which made sense because even gtalk uses XMPP. Then I thot "Hmmmm" and tried to add an XMPP/ jabber account on palringo with the facebook settings and it worked. Its not even been a day so I have no way of know that it will last, but so far its working.

So here are the steps
1. Open palringo on your phone.
2. Go down the list and add a XMPP/Jabber Account
3. Put the setttings given for pidgin on this page even the resource.
4. save

I'll keep updating if I face problems. Let me know if it doesn't work

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

do i need to make an account on pidgin before using those settings on palringo?

underwonder said...

Sorry Neha, I stopped using palringo. IT would keep crashing on my BB. and then Facebook app on BB lets you chat as well.

To answer your question, Yes you need to register on palringo. However, this registration is done within the app itself. No need to visit any site for that.

sully said...

how do you turn fb chat online on palringo

Lochna said...

I can't enable my fb chat :/ its asking me domain, resource what should i write?

India Gadget Search Headline Animator

Indian Deal of the Day Headline Animator